Play Kitchen

I finally got around to re-taking some pictures of the new kids kitchen since all of my other pictures are in purgatory. (Still, keep your fingers crossed). So, this was the big present from Santa this year. I have seen quite a few play kitchens out there in the blogging world and there is even a Flickr group for them. There are a ton of ideas! I saw many people making them out of nightstands and entertainment centers. My mom had the perfect shaped nightstand that she didn’t need and thankfully she donated one to the cause. My husband and his dad did all of the “woodworking” on it. I drew them a picture and after a few trips to home depot it started looking like a kitchen! Then we spent many nights adding to it. I even found a lot of good materials at Goodwill. Here is what we ended up with, I really like the way it turned out and my son loves it! It was a bigger hit than we thought it would be.

We used wooded plaques from Hobby Lobby for the burners. I painted them with metallic black paint and cut out the red swirl for the burners then applied 2 coats of Mod Podge. The dials are wooden car wheels painted and Mod Podged also. We didn’t bolt them in all the way so they spin.

We cut a hole in the back wall and I found that frame that fit perfectly at Goodwill. I just printed out a picture of that field on my computer for the window scene.

My favorite part is the backsplash!! We just hot glued and caulked those tiles on the back. The sink is a bowl from Goodwill and we had trouble finding a used faucet so that was our most expensive purchase. It’s from Home Depot for $9.00 but it looks so perfect!

For the oven, my husband added that shelf in between where the drawers were then just removed the bottom drawer for storage. He cut a hole in the top one and we added the Plexiglas and a hinge so it really opens and closes.

Final touches are some hooks on both sides for “utensils” and cookware. I’d say he loves it! Here he is on Christmas Morning. Maybe you will see him on Top Chef in 20 years?

Comments

This is SO cute!! All of your details really make it special and it’s WAY cooler than anything you could buy off the shelf. Finn is one lucky boy!

Fantastic job! What a delightful gift for your son. Clever design; appreciate the attention to details.
    I’ll check back to see what you make next :D Thanks to Mod Podge Rocks! for sending me here.

Oh how clever you are. Every detail is perfect. I would have loved this as kid. I would have loved this for my son. OK, I admit, I want to play with this myself. I’m so impressed. I was thinking that it would be fun to have different pictures to put in the window, to match the seasons, etc. Maybe not practical, though. Well done.

4. creativejewishmom/ says

this is just so adorable! I’d love it if you’d drop by Craft Schooling Sunday (opens Sat night 7:30 pm my time, which is probably in the early afternoon for you)and share this, my readers will just love it too! http://www.creativejewishmom.com
    Plus lots of fun crafts on my site! Hope to see you! (If last week’s party is still open you can add it there and I’ll move to the new party)

This is by far the coolest thing i have ever seen! I wish i had seen this years ago before we bought the boring plastic one!! lol I am your newest follower and VERY excited about it! You have so many incredible ideas and i can’t wait to see more!!

6. Judy says

Thank you for this!!! I have my night stands that I’m going to do this with, I’ve had them since I was 5 years old, and finally just got my “adult furniture” after being married for 10 years!!! I can’t wait to get started on this, I’m going to use one for the sink/dishwasher, and one for the oven/range, and find a more narrow set for the refrigerator!!! I can’t wait, my kids are 2,4 & 6, and will love the new “grown up” kitchen! :)

Thanks for the inspiration!!!!!

Howdy would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re
    working with? I’m looking to start my own blog in the near
    future but I’m having a tough time deciding between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and
    Drupal. The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something completely unique.
    P.S Apologies for being off-topic but I had to ask!

This tends to make it the best running method for corporate and databases.
    Chown – Linux command to change ownership of a filedirectory.
    Portable document format, or PDF, is mostly known for its read-only configuration,
    and is supported in all the popular operating systems.
    Before we can proceed with that analysis, there is one entrenched
    political teaching of which we must dispose.

If you offer him $10,000 to the horse, he’s going to probably flip it to you.
    If you are an aggressive punter, maybe you have your bet unit as 2% within your bankroll
    which comes over to be $30 using the above-mentioned example.
    Breeding alone won’t win a race, furthermore, it takes ability
    and skill.

Thus, dress is the most important thing that you should consider when you go out for a date.
    ) I made through these free online dating sites is more than the guys I have
    been acquainted in my whole damn life. He was furious about me going
    out with another guy on his birthday, but it wasn’t
    like he and I were in a relationship.

From color-matching games to warrior games, people have everything
    on the mobile now. In fact, as successful as clash royale astuce of Clans is, it only ranks #1 for the keywords.
    Now we want to share with you about if you add a keyword in the title, it can give you an advantage
    over apps that do not use this strategy.

1. […] I really love play kitchens, and the fun details that parents add to make them perfect. Check out this fun example by Taylor at Taylor Made, made out of a nightstand. Are you kidding? It’s amazing! From the little round burners (sealed with Mod Podge) to the backsplash of the sink. I was howling with happy laughter. When I have a kid, he or she will have one of these. I’ll make my husband install granite countertops and Kohler faucets on it. It still won’t be as cute as Taylor’s, though. See more pictures here. […]