Monogram Plate

Last night, after sulking all day about my crafting slump, I crawled in bed with my copy of Martha Stewart Encyclopedia of Crafts (best book ever). I think I am healed, I knew Martha would help!  I remembered something I have been thinking about – of a Chevron Striped Plate. Let me explain, I have a plate collection on the walls of my dining room, they all mean something and they all have a story. I even have two plates from two of my great-grandmothers, one of which is handmade. I thought a modern looking Monogrammed Chevron Plate would really give the wall a fresh “springy” look.
Plate Wall
-paper for the monogram
-Mod Podge
-Silhouette (Cricut or an exacto knife)
I wanted to do a Chevron Stripe on the background of my plate but any graphic pattern would work. I, of course used my trusty Silhouette! First of all you need to clean your plate so the vinyl will stick. Measure the center of your plate making sure to measue the curves of the plate too. Mine was a little over 10″ so I made my chevrons 10.5″ long. In my Silhouette software I used the chevron shape (which was the free shape of the week a few days ago) and loaded my premium vinyl into the machine.
About the Monogram… did you know that you can search “free fonts” in google and there are millions of  fonts that are way better than the stadard loaded on your compuer. All you do is downloard them to your computer, then install them and they will show up in all of your programs like Power Point, Word and your Silhouette Software! So, I searched for a free Monogram Font and found the perfect one. Here is the link. Make your last name inital larger than the other two initials because that will be the one in the middle. Load your bright colored cardstock and cut!
I have no scientific instuctions on how to place your vinyl, if you are a perfectionist I’m sure you could measure but that is just too hard for me. So I eye-balled it. Just make sure to get out all of the air bubbles.
Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge down on the plate. I didn’t Mod Podge the outer ring of the plate. I used the Matte finish because it’s my favorite.
Carefully place your letters down, make sure they are all pressed down well by using a pin or tweezers and get out the air bubbles.
Apply a top coat of Mode Podge to the inner curcle of the plate. Make sure to get in between all of spaces in the letters and again, pop the air bubbles with a pin because they will dry funky if you don’t.
Now just wait for your plate to dry, and hang that baby up, it looks so profesh!

So cool! I had never heard of a ‘silhouette’ before…only the circut…Now I want one! I am diggin those chevron stripes, but I wanted to see a pic of the plate hanging on the wall with all the others!
    I found you at the creative girls blog hop. Stop by some time and say hi!

Oh my gosh! I love this idea! I unfortunately don’t have a cricut and I wish I did because I am seeing vinyl everywhere and there are so many great ideas! Do you sale these? You totally should!

I am so excited to be a new follower of your blog. You have so many fun ideas! Keep up the good work. You have a great blog!

Amanda @ Our Life on a Marquee

I LOVE THIS!!!! I just found you through the Silhouette fb page – I saw your tutorial post and am so glad I did! I just ordered a Silhouette, and this might have to be the first project! Thanks for sharing this great idea!

this turned out aweome!

i was thinking about applying mod podge to vinyl for another project…this is the answer now for sure.

your plate looks awesome.

happy weekend.

You did such a good job with those chevron stripes that I thought they were “premade” on the plate at first. Love the beautiful monogram too!! :)

Thank you so much for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. :) If you could add a link back to me too, I would really appreciate it. :) Have fun finding a new blog friend or two, and I hope you’ll visit me at Serenity Now again soon! :)

Fabulous addition to your sentimental plate wall! It is gorgeous!!!
    Visiting from Dittle Dattle, Amaze Me Monday. Stop by and say hi to me at

Hey Taylor!

Thank you for commenting on my blog bc now I found your amazing blog! I am your newest follower :) This project is awesome–cute, modern, cheap, and easy! It’s perfect!!!! Thank you for a great tutorial, I’m excited to read more of your blog! Thanks again for finding me!

Katie@Little Things Bring Smiles

I just found your plate via Pinterest and think it is an amazing idea. I teach Pre K and I’m going to try this with the kids for a Mother’s Day project. Did you happen to use a glass or plastic plate and in your opinion, which one would work the best? Thanks for your help!