Mini Fabric Lamps

One of the very first things I ever “pinned” were these “Lamp Shades on a String” from Rebeccas DIY. They have been on my to-make list for months. When I first found this little project, it was only written in Swedish but I think she has an English version now. These are so cute and actually really fun to make, Finn even helped me a little :) I love a simple project, and one that uses scraps.
What you need:
Fabric Scraps, Lights, Mod Podge and Clear Cups

Then you need holes in your cups…
make gif
Iron all of your scraps and then start cutting. I have a template HERE if you are using the same cups (9oz Hefty Brand).You can also always find any of my templates under the “freebies” tab.

Cover your cups with the Mod Podge and wrap fabric around. The template is cut for a little excess fabric and I just used more Mod Podge on that little lip.

Let them dry…

Push the lights into the holes.

Here is a little PSA: I posted a project about a year ago that involved tealights in a metal container near plastic and some commenters thought I had a death wish or something. I thought “its just a tealight people” and obviously I am always around when I burn candles. I write a craft blog not a manual on life…but if this project isn’t for you, just don’t make it and as always please be safe :)

The best part… plug them in, yay!

Look where they live now

I love them, I want to make some for every single room. Stay tuned later this week for a very ModPodge-tastic giveaway that I know you will LOVE!!

Comments

These are going to look awesome in colors to match my patio furniture! Or red, white and blue for the Fourth! Or Halloween fabrics, or Christmas for that matter! Let’s see if I can get some done before then! :) Thanks for the inspiration!

These are so cute -but are they a fire hazard with the plastic cups? Do the plastic cups emit an odor? I’m curious because I’d love to make them for my daughters room.

• says

First of all: Taylor, thanks so much for such a cutie-patootie idea!! LOVE IT! Second: If folks are worried about the heat of the lights with the plastic cups, here’s a thought….buy the mini LED string lights & use them!! They’re just about the same size as far as fitting them in the hole (or wait & measure the LED string lights & drill to fit) & they don’t emit any heat so that clears up the safety issue. Ta-da! (hee hee hee) Anyway, I just wanted to give those who are safety conscious a way to make this AMAZING PROJECT without the worry. Thanks again & God Bless! I can’t wait to see what you come up with next!

I love this idea and might try it for Halloween or Christmas and use on the front porch. I wonder of those LED lights that use less electricity are cooler to the touch? Will have to investigate. Thanks for the great instructions!

When I saw these I just loved them. I thought of my oldest son who always had the patio lights up all over the house. So I went shopping for the list of things needed. I had everything but the material. Then I could not find your instructions! I just spent 1hour 45 min looking for the them on the Make craft posts! I am making some and so is he once I get the materials sent to him.

This is sooo cute! I wonder if the light would still shine through if you used scrapbooking paper instead of the fabric. I have so many cute prints in those.

6. Barb says

This would be adorable for a baby shower done in all baby material or wedding, graduation OMGosh I could think of a lot of events this would look so great at. Thinking I might do this for our next family reunion. Thanks so much for the idea. I tried to “pin” it on my pinterest site but couldn’t get it to work. I’m new at it so will try again.

7. Melissa says

HI! I LOVE these lamps & I’ve been trying to do them in my baby girls room since before she was born! She’s 6 months now… I collected all of the supplies & ran into a wall with the cups. I used other clear 9 oz cups & they cracked when we went to drill them. From that point on I’ve been on a hunt for Hefty cups…. I cannot find these cups you used ANYWHERE! Not even online for purchase. Any advice? If you don’t mind can you email me back? I’m afraid I will forget to check back for a response if one comes. Thanks so much. The lights are beautiful. I love them.

• Patty says

You could try melting a whole in the cups with with a glue gun tip. We made balls with this technique in school when I was younger, using plastic cups and colored Christmas lights and then glued all the cups together to form a great big ball. The tip of the hot glue gun will melt through it without cracking it.

• Patty says

You could try melting a hole in the cups with with a glue gun tip. We made balls with this technique in school when I was younger, using plastic cups and colored Christmas lights and then glued all the cups together to form a great big ball. The tip of the hot glue gun will melt through it without cracking it.

Power failures turn anything pitch black and make conditions very miserable. Emergency lighting would be the significant necessity in that type of scenario. A lot of buildings present exit lights immediately just after a energy failure. These exit lights are numerous times thought of as emergency lighting for the building. These exit lights can’t satiate towards the complete objective nevertheless leaves a necessity for emergency lights, hallway and a few other places. Primarily staircases would be the locations require to be arranged these emergency lights. As the majority of the movement may take location from other floors by means of staircase. If proper required lights usually are not arranged for staircase will result into minor accidents for the inmates of the constructing. These sorts of necessities needs to be offered far more priority when power failure occurs. This really is the reason stair case lights want to be checked for every single 3 months and needed replacements ought to make to them.

This lights require to be organized in advance for the emergency circumstance. These lights may be battery operated or rechargeable. Make it confident usually they may be prepared to make use of as we never ever know when the necessity arises. By taking some precautionary measures we are able to face emergency circumstances inside a improved way by means of these emergency lights. There quite a few varieties of emergency lighting systems accessible from low-cost economical rates to costly range. Normally an light should serve the goal whether it truly is costly or affordable 1. Keeping them always ready we can make greater use of them in emergency scenarios.

10. Blaubaer says

Bin begeistert,von dieser Lichterkette und sie ist so einfach herzustellen.
    Danke für die wunderbare Anleitung.
    Liebe Grüße

To find other methods to get them, try surfing the Web.

A $5 gift certificate might not exactly appear like much, but Blingo has awarded hundreds, or even thousands, of the Amazon. I slowly found that
    they don’t do whatever they claimed.

12. Sarah says

How lovely! My grown son and 19 year old grandson share a new home. They built a huge patio table and benches this summer and have been having friends over frequently to enjoy their new outdoors!

They strung LED Christmas lights from their house roof to a shed roof to light the area…I’m going to look for some guy-inspired fabrics and make them some of these! They’re terrific!

After looking at a number of the articles on your web site, I seriously appreciate your technique of blogging.
    I saved it to my bookmark site list and will be checking back soon. Please check out my web
    site as well and let me know how you feel.

I have learn a few just right stuff here. Definitely price bookmarking for revisiting.
    I wonder how a lot effort you set to make any such excellent informative site.

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation however I
    to find this topic to be actually something which
    I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and extremely extensive for
    me. I am having a look forward to your subsequent publish,
    I will attempt to get the dangle of it!

16. Arlene B says

Aha! a wonderful idea that I am going to do. Here’s another fabric suggestion. Lots of us have favorite clothing pieces that we just can’t seem to part with, but cannot wear, and maybe not nice enough to even donate to charity. Why not take the fabric from them (i.e. blouses, skirts, shirts, etc.)? Whee! I’m off to buy those cups and Modge Podge tomorrow!

17. Donna Pheneger says

Just saw these in an email from “Cheap Eats and Thrifty Crafts” – love this idea! How creative you are! I’m thinking Christmas – because who doesn’t have loads of Christmas fabric in their stash! Besides, that’s how long it will take for me to get them completed! :-) Thanks for a great idea.

My wife and I have been very blessed in our lives. We have also lived thogurh very tight times ( I. E., blood donations.) We have always felt the love if others. Many times, we picked up the bill for another at a resturant. Other times we paid for another’s groceries. Another time we put together a baby shower for a lady we never met who left an abusive home. Instead of money, we gave a man in the rain a sleeping bag, a coat, and accessories along with a gift card for a meal at Denny’s. When my wife ad I ran into financial issues, we were blessed by people who remained anonymous with a $500 gift card twice. We always asked why. We had a very hard time accepting. Why us? LovePay it forward It will come back when needed