9 times out of 10 I don’t buy fabric with a project in mind. I see fabric I really like, I buy it and I take it home. Then months later when I want to make something I “shop” in my own craft room and find the perfect fabric for the job. This quilt was no exception. Last year when I spotted the Heather Ross Briar Rose line I knew I had to have it, and I had to have all of it :) I bought the fat quarter pack and there it sat on my shelf for almost a year. Then in February I found out I was having a girl (yay) and I started putting her room together knowing she would have a mama-made quilt.
At first I had these same strips in mind but I was thinking solid colors… black, white and coral. Then it seemed too matchy-matchy with the room and I wanted a pattern. Here is a baby name secret… we have been calling her Baby Bee for months because her name starts with a “B” so I really wanted to add some bees somewhere. Then I remembered this Briar Rose fat quarter pack!! Bright colors, fun patterns, and bees… too good to be true right? That’s why I buy fabric I like right when I see it :)
I didn’t follow a pattern I just googled the standard size for a baby quilt and did the math. I started by cutting 2-3 strips of each pattern that were 4″ by the width of the fat quarter.
When I had enough I scrambled them up to “randomize”. Then I sewed them into one big continuous strip.
After I pressed all my seams down, I cut the big strip into smaller strips that were all the same width and started laying them out. I’m so thankful to have this big work table with my pregnant belly:)
I worked really hard at making sure none of the same patterns or colors were touching… see the two pink strawberry fabrics touching, I don’t like that haha #fabricgirlprobs.
After I got it how I liked it, I went row by row… pinning then sewing. I used a 1/2′ seam allowance for everything.
Here I am pressing my seams like a good tailor.
I added a border that was also 4″ wide all the way around but then when I opened my batting it was shorter than what was listed on the package. So, I had to shorten the top and bottom of the border. I found this grey floral fabric at Joann’s. I obviously like to do my basting late at night when the lighting is bad :) Then, I quilted above and below the seam of each strip.
I made some binding out of this cute green Christmas striped fabric I found. Quilting confession, I am a cheater when it comes to binding… I have never tried it by hand, machine binding works for me! I still use clover clips however.
For the back I used a black polka dot print and the little black dots are flocked… so cute!
I love how it turned out! I hope Baby Bee loves it too!
Speaking of that girl…. 35 days to go!!!